Bootstrap salt minions with bootstrap scripts
Since SUMA 3.0.2, you can create salt-specific bootstrap scripts that can be incorporated into your onboarding or build processes.
Apply the latest updates to SUSE Manager 3, minimum update required is version 3.0.2.
Make sure you have the corresponding product enabled and the channels synced. This must be completed before creating the bootstrap repositories. For example:
- SLES11 SP4 x86_64
- - Product: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4 (x86_64)
- - Mandatory channels: sles11-sp4-pool-x86_64, sles11-sp4-suse-manager-tools-x86_64, sles11-sp4-updates-x86_64
In order to check if the channels have finished syncing:
- Go to "Admin -> Setup Wizard" and look under tab "SUSE Products" You will see a Green indicator and the last sync time for completed products.
- Go to Channels, and select the channel in question. Under "Basic Information", the "Last Modified" and "Last Repo Build" date/time stamps should agree, and the "Repo Cache Status" must be "Completed"
- Optionally check the sync log file under /var/log/rhn/reposync/<channel-label>.log
On the server, create a bootstrap repository for each distribution/architecture with
Ensure that this script finishes properly, and if not, re-check the channel sync. You can safely re-run this command, and you should whenever a new version of salt-minion is released, and your tools channel gets updated. The repositories are created under
, and are meant to be used in the registration/bootstrap process only.
On the client machine(s) perform the following:
Registration using a bootstrap script (recommended)
- If needed, regenerate the bootstrap script with the Salt option enabled
mgr-bootstrap --salt --script=bootstrap-salt.sh
- Copy it and edit the script to reflect the correct activation key, and any other relevant content.
- Download and run the appropriately edited bootstrap script after adding correct activation key, etc. This will install the necessary Salt packages, set the proper activation key, and starts the salt-minion service.
curl -Sks http://<server>/pub/bootstrap/bootstrap-salt.sh | /bin/bash It also creates this file on the minion: /etc/salt/minion.d/susemanager.conf
- Go to the Server web UI to Salt -> Onboarding and accept the minion's key. After a few minutes, the new minion will appear in your list of systems with the channels assigned in the activation key you specified in the bootstrap process.