SUSE Manager/Register RedHat traditional clients
Traditionally managed clients (rhn stack)
In order to register RedHat (traditional/RHN clients) the following steps are necessary. These instructions are for RHEL 7, but can be adjusted/repeated to accommodate RHEL 6.
1. Be sure to copy any and all relevant GPG keys to /srv/www/htdocs/pub. This includes the Spacewalk key, SUSE keys and the Red Hat keys. By copying them there, you can reference them in a comma-delimited list in your bootstrap script (see example below)
Spacewalk key: http://spacewalk.redhat.com/yum/RPM-GPG-KEY-spacewalk-2015 Red Hat keys: http://www.redhat.com/contact/security-response-team/gpg-keys.html
2. Mirror the res7 SUSE Manager tools repository. This will work whether patches come from SCC or from RH native CDN. SUSE Manager subscriptions include mirroring permissions for the res7 SUSE Manager tools channel. Add it to be sync'd from the SUSE Manager command line like this:
mgr-sync add channels rhel-x86_64-server-7 rhel-x86_64-server-7
3. Once the tools sync is complete, you will need to ensure RHEL base media is there as a custom child channel under this parent as well. If you are using the Expanded Support channels,
On the SUSE Manager Web UI:
- Create the channel in SUSE Manager
Go to "Channels" -> "Manage Software Channels" - > "Create channel" and fill the basic channel details.
Best practice is to make it a child channel to the corresponding RH distribution/architecture channel from Customer Center. The parent channel (rhel-x86_64-server-7) will have zero packages.
On the CLI of SUSE Manager as root:
- Copy the ISO to your SUSE Manager server in /tmp
- Create a directory:
# mkdir -p /srv/www/htdocs/pub/rhel
- mount the iso:
# mount -o loop /tmp/name_of_iso /srv/www/htdocs/pub/rhel
- Start spacewalk-repo-sync:
# spacewalk-repo-sync -c your_channel_name -u http://127.0.0.1/pub/rhel/ ## Note you may want to use https://suma_server_fqdn/pub/rhel Repo URL: https://127.0.0.1/pub/rhel/Server/ Packages in repo: 3690 Packages already synced: 0 Packages to sync: 3690 1/3690 : texlive-latex-2007-57.el6_2-0.x86_64 2/3690 : boost-filesystem-1.41.0-18.el6-0.i686 3/3690 : policycoreutils-newrole-2.0.83-19.39.el6-0.x86_64 [...]
- After the end of the synchronization, you will be able to manipulate this channel as a regular SUSE Manager channel.
NOTE: If you are using RH Native parent/child channels, you can simply clone the base media channel into the res7 (rhel-x86_64-server-7) parent. The next step requires that res7 parent and children.
4. Create the res7 bootstrap repository - once all is synced - with this command:
mgr-create-bootstrap-repo --with-custom-channels rhel-x86_64-server-7
NOTE: The bootstrap repo for RH is only used for salt managed systems. The required software for traditional registration should come from the original media.
5. Create/edit your bootstrap script to correctly reflect the following:
# can be edited, but probably correct (unless created during initial install): # NOTE: ACTIVATION_KEYS *must* be used to bootstrap a client machine. ACTIVATION_KEYS=1-rh7 ORG_GPG_KEY=res.key,RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release,suse-307E3D54.key,suse-9C800ACA.key,RPM-GPG-KEY-spacewalk-2015 FULLY_UPDATE_THIS_BOX=0 # Removing any existing subscription-manager packages - these conflict with the traditional client rpm -e --force --nodeps subscription-manager subscription-manager-gui subscription-manager-plugin-container subscription-manager-plugin-ostree yum clean all # Install the prerequisites yum -y install yum-rhn-plugin rhn-setup
NOTE: The names for some packages differ from the original RH names.
Original SUSE * rhn-setup => spacewalk-client-setup * rhn-client-tools => spacewalk-client-tools * rhn-check => spacewalk-check * rhnsd => spacewalksd
All SUSE packages provide the original name's functionality.
- Add these lines to the very bottom of your script, (just before echo “-bootstrap complete -” )
# This section is for commands to be executed after registration chkconfig rhnsd on chkconfig osad on service rhnsd restart service osad restart
6. Bootstrap your rh7 client and it should register and be manageable.