SUSE Manager 3 comes with the Salt Master installed and running by default.
Register a Salt Minion with SUSE Manager 3
To register your salt minion with SUSE Manager 3 you have to configure your minion the to use the SUSE Manager host as master.
For that uncomment and edit following line in /etc/salt/minion
Add an /etc/salt/grains file to enable your minion to use an activation key in SUMA with this content
susemanager: activation_key: <1-keylabel>
Restart your minion for the changes to take effect.
- To get started open your browser and point it to your SUSE Manager Server address and log in.
- Select the Systems tab then Salt Master from the sidebar.
- On the All Minions page you can see a list of Pending and Rejected minions.
- The minion you configured in the previous section should be listed under the Pending column.
- To accept the minion for management click the Check button.
- Confirm your minion was added by going to the Systems tab. Your new minion is now ready for management by SUSE Manager 3.
Running remote commands
Click on Systems -> Salt Master -> Remote Commands. On the right hand site, specify a minion name or a glob.
For now, only Channel Management for SLES11 and SLES12 is supported.
In addition SUSE Manager may not deactivate existing repositories on the minion so if you only want the repositories for your selected channels you may have to deactivate any existing repositories.
zypper mr -d your-repo-name
Next we need to deploy the SUSE Manager certificate to the minion so zypper trusts your SUSE Manager.
- Execute the following command on your SUSE Manager server.
salt 'your-minion-name' state.apply certs
At the end of the output you should see this
Succeeded: 2 (changed=2) Failed: 0 ------------ Total states run: 2
Now everything should be ready to assign your channels as usual.
- Navigate to your Minion System on the SUSE Manager Web UI and click on Alter Channel Subscriptions.
- Assign the channels as usual and confirm your changes.
- After you assigned your channels they will automatically available on the minion
To manage package states for a minion navigate from the system details page to:
Software > Packages > Manage
Here you can see the currently managed packages. By default all packages are Unmanaged so this view will be empty.
- The system needs to have at least a base channel assigned
- To manage the state of a package type the package name into the search field and click Search.
- In the search results find the package you want to manage and change the state to Installed or Removed depending on what state you want to enforce.
- You can go on searching for other packages and do the same.
- When you are done you can review your changes by clicking on Changes. In this view you can see all the changes you made and adjust before saving.
- Click Save to save your changes.
- After reloading the page you should see your managed states.
- For the state to take effect click the Apply button. This will make sure all managed packages are in the right state on the minion.
- Search: search for all available packages for the system
- System: shows the currently assigned package states for the system
- Changes: can be used to review your local changes before saving them
- Save: save the local changes to the state of the system
- Apply: apply the package states to the minion (equivalent to salt 'minion-name' state.apply packages)
Depending on your clients you may have to adjust the max_event_size in /etc/salt/master on the SUSE Manager Server. This is needed to query the information about installed packages on systems that have a lot of packages.