This page was last modified on 10/22/2013
Note: This page is not for reporting defects and bugs. Those should be reported in the Novell Forums. Only limitations that are consequences of the nature of the phone should be reported here.
|Currently Supported for Novell Data Synchronizer?||Yes|
|Approx. Last Test Date||Ongoing|
|Ease of Setup||Excellent|
It is strongly recommended that you have version 5.x or later for the iPhone software. Earlier versions are not currently supported and may have limited functionality.
Basic instructions on getting your Mobility Pack running on your iPhone/iTouch device:
1. Make sure that your Mobility Pack server is up and running and you have the following information:
- Server address
- Port (if non-standard)
- Whether the server requires a secure connection or not
2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account > Exchange
3. Enter the required information:
- For your email, enter your name (an "@" isn't necessary)
- Leave Domain blank
- Enter your Mobility Pack username
- Enter your Mobility Pack password
- Under description, enter your name
4. Click next. It will prompt you for your server address. Enter your Mobility Pack server address followed by the port if necessary. If no port is listed, the setup will first try on port 443, and then fall back to port 80. If you need to list a port, for example, if your server address is 22.214.171.124 running on port 8443, you would enter: 126.96.36.199:8443
5. Hit next
- If it notifies you that the connection failed it is because your server requires an non-secure connection and the iPhone uses a secure connection by default. You can change this later. For more information on configuring a secure connection, see SSL Considerations
6. Select to sync contacts and calendar items (if you wish for these items to be sync to your device)
- When it prompts you, it is recommended that you choose to leave existing contacts and calendar items on your device.
7. When finish configuring your account, verify that your user settings are correct by going to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and select your existing account. Select account info, and verify your settings.
- If your Mobility Pack server requires a non-secure connection, turn ssl OFF.
8. On your iPhone, go to Mail, and navigate to your new account. Syncing should begin -- it may take a few minutes to perform the initial sync and pull down all of your items.
- The iPhone will prompt if there are Certificate errors, but once confirmed, will not ask again, and can continue working without interruption.
- DigiCert certificates work great. Just be sure, like with other SSL Certificate providers, that you configure the server to send the intermediate certificates needed to chain up to the trusted root.
- Reply all
- Move to Folder
Device Limitations (not defects):
- iOS 5.x is not supported with some extended characters. You will not be able to configure email accounts if extended characters are used.
- When a large attachment is sent to a user, and the user responds to that email from their device, the reply icon for that email will not show up on that same users groupwise client. The icon will not show up when an email is forwarded either. The emails are sent without any problems, they are just not marked as such in groupwise.
- After deleting a folder, if a new folder is created by the same name the app most be closed between deleting the old folder and creating the new folder for it to sync properly
- Device to GW
- GW to Device
- All contact attributes
Device Limitations (not defects):
Device Limitations (not defects):
- Cannot move appointments from one calendar to another
- Creating recurring appointments in sub calendars on the device will revert back to private items. This is a known limitation of iOS devices.
- It is strongly recommended that you have version 5.x or later for the iPhone software. Earlier versions are not supported and may have limited functionality.
- See Setup and Configuration for help getting your account up and running.
- Once Mobility Pack is setup on your device, new contacts will by default be added to the Mobility Pack/GroupWise address book. This means that if you ever remove Mobility Pack, these contacts will be removed from the device. If you prefer, you can specify to have the contact added to your device address book rather than GroupWise.
- If you have an IMAP account setup using the same email address as your Mobility account (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org for Mobility and email@example.com for IMAP), the iPhone will automatically send mail for the Mobility account out of the IMAP account. Some people using Mobility might be tempted to do this for downloading HTML mail. The fix for this is to turn off the IMAP account in the iPhone account settings any time it is not actually being used. Alternatively, you could make the IMAP account another valid ID for your GroupWise account such as firstname.lastname@example.org. The issue only occurs when both the IMAP and Mobility accounts have the exact same email address defined.
- If your LDAP password expires, a message will be displayed on the device indicating that the user name or password is incorrect. If you change your password expiration time (perhaps you're on the road and don't have a way to change your password so you call the help desk and have them extend your password expiration time), the device will continue to display the incorrect password message. A dialog may be displayed asking for the password but even typing in your password (the same password because it hasn't really changed) will still continue to fail. You may also receive a message that the device failed to connect to the server. It seems as though the iOS keeps some sort of state where it will not attempt to use a password that it has received a failure for. To get around this, you can go to the account settings on the device and (1) for iOS v3.x, simply tap the password field (so that the cursor is in the field) and then exit the account settings (you don't need to make any changes in the edit field) or (2) for iOS v5.x, re-enter the same password in the password field and tap Done. This will cause the device to once again send the requests to the Mobility server.
- If the Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars->Time Zone Support is set to Off, then the appointments will adjust according to the time zone that the device is set to.
- If the Time Zone Setting set to On the appointments will be displayed according to the Time Zone specified under this setting.
Please do not use this wiki to report bugs or defects. Instead, use the Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack Forum or contact Novell Technical Support.
To place enhancement requests with Apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
Thanks to the contributors for this device information!Timothy J. Stakland, Danita Zanre