iManager 503 Error

From MicroFocusInternationalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

A possible fix for iManager 503 error

I was getting a 503 error on iManager in the web browser, I checked the /var/opt/novell/tomcat5/logs/catalina.out file and it had this error:

2012-09-03 20:24:25,243 [main] INFO  org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina - Initialization processed in 5740 ms
2012-09-03 20:24:25,915 [main] ERROR org.apache.commons.digester.Digester - Parse Fatal Error at line -1 column -1: Premature end of file.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Premature end of file.
       at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLVersionDetector.determineDocVersion(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1581)
       at org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabase.open(MemoryUserDatabase.java:402)
       at org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory.getObjectInstance(MemoryUserDatabaseFactory.java:103)
       at org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceFactory.getObjectInstance(ResourceFactory.java:140)
       at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getObjectInstance(NamingManager.java:316)
       at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:793)
       at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:140)
       at org.apache.naming.NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.nextElementInternal(NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.java:113)
       at org.apache.naming.NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.next(NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.j
../logs/catalina.out lines 942-966/2869 37%

This was caused by a zero byte size /var/opt/novell/tomcat5/conf/tomcat-users.xml file.
I used this command to rename the file: "mv tomcat-users.xml tomcat-users.xml-backup"
Then restarted tomcat: "rcnovell-tomcat5 restart"

It created a new tomcat-users.xml file and iManager is working again.


Your issue may be different but I couldn't find much on this error so I thought I'd share what worked for me.